1) WHAT IS SYNTHETIC PHONICS?
Synthetic phonics is a method of teaching reading by first teaching all the letter sounds in a particular order (not a-z) and then building up to blending these sounds together to achieve pronunciation of whole words.
2) WHY IS THERE SUCH A BIG EMPHASIS ON TEACHING PHONICS?
Phonics is the relationship between sounds in speech and the letter patterns in written words and is a prerequisite for reading proficiency. When students know their sounds and the letters they represent, students can read and write words much easier.
3) DOES MY CHILD NEED TO ATTEND A SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAM IF THEY ARE ALREADY ATTENDING A LONG DAY CARE CENTER?
Day care centers do a great job at developing the whole child and whilst they may offer a type of preschool/ school readiness program, they are often not academic in nature and not taught by specialist teachers who have specific literacy skills.
4) WHY SHOULD I ENROL MY CHILD IN THE SUPER KIDS TUTORING PRE-SCHOOL PROGRAM?
Research suggests that children who attend more academically oriented preschool programs have significantly higher scores in reading, maths and general knowledge when tested in Kindergarten the following year over children attending less academically oriented preschool programs.
5) WON'T MY CHILD LEARN TO READ AND WRITE NATURALLY AT SCHOOL?
Class sizes, teacher experience, resources and teacher training all impact the literacy learning of children. Whilst some children naturally pick up concepts taught in school, many miss core language and literacy skills in the crucial early years of K-2. Early literacy instruction benefits all children and better prepares them for the challenges that lay ahead at school.
6) WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT SUPER KIDS TUTORING?
● High quality literacy instruction by an experienced teacher.
● Fun and engaging lessons using hands on activities and state of the art technology to enhance the quality of lessons.
● Maximum of 4 students per group class.
● Foster a growth mindset around literacy, teaching children how to learn and developing good learning habits are embedded throughout each lesson.
● Consulting services are offered to parents to support them during their child’s formative years.
7) HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY CHILD IS READY FOR KINDERGARTEN?
Ongoing assessment and parent feedback will ensure your child is on track to reaching their learning goals. A Kindergarten readiness checklist at the end of the learning cycle will provide insights into your child’s development. Any concerns about your child’s learning along with successes will be communicated to parents.
8) WHAT HAPPENS IF MY CHILD MISSES A CLASS?
At the beginning of each lesson, there is a chance to revise what has previously been taught and learning materials for the lesson/s missed will be passed onto you so that your child may catch up at home.
9) WHY IS SIGHT WORD RECOGNITION IMPORTANT?
Learning to read sight words automatically helps learners read more fluently and therefore enables children to maintain the meaning of a story better. This also aides in increased comprehension.